Sunday, November 9, 2008

"So, what's your book about?"

Good afternoon, blogosphere,

I realized a few hours after I made yesterday's post that I forgot to tell you what sort of book I was writing. With a name like The Princess Dilemma it could be a kid's book, a Young Adult fantasy, chick lit, historical, romance, or even literary fiction about someone who happens to be a princess. But of course, since I talked about writing fan fiction and gaming stuff, and because my profile picture is of me dressed as a faerie waiting to get into Comic Con, it will come as no surprise to anyone that it's a fantasy novel.

They say it's good to be able to summarize your plot in one line, so here's my book's soundbite: it's about a princess who gets sick of constantly being kidnapped and decides to take matters into her own hands.

There's more to it than that, naturally. In some ways, it's a coming of age story, and it deals a lot with opening your eyes to the world around you and learning that the things you were told when you were growing up might not be as true as you always believed. I think that's why I had to grow up some more before I could actually write the book, I think. My original drafts were just about the princess and her dilemma, and didn't have any subtext or depth. Only when I moved away from the idea of the idyllic fairy tale kingdom did I find myself coming up with a lot of conflicts, a lot of subplots, and the actual motivations for the characters to be doing what I wanted them to do.

Tomorrow, I'll post an excerpt.

No comments: